Thursday, October 17, 2013

CUTE + CREEPY + COOL

As I mentioned on an earlier post, skeletons are very common things in Mexican life, not only for Day of the Dead, but as an everyday presence. One day I was talking to a very good friend, a New Bedford Massachusetts native, connoisseur of antiques, New England traditions, and great couturier. We were examining clay skulls I recently made for her boutique. As we picked them up and talked about Mexican interpretations, History and folklore, she mentioned that skeletons are present in New England imagery, that I could find them at cemeteries, engraved on tombstones. I diligently went online and searched for them. Soon I found a bunch of pictures depicting winged skulls, and right away my mind started to think of a mix of Mexican-New England skeleton doll.

Anteriormente he mencionado que los esqueletos son muy comunes en México, no sólo durante el Día de Muertos, sino todo el tiempo, se asoman a nuestra realidad de diversas maneras. Una vez estaba platicando con una muy buena amiga, originaria de New Bedford Massachusetts, conocedora de antigüedades, tradiciones de Nueva Inglaterra y gran costurera. Estabamos examinando unos craneos de arcilla que habia hecho recientemente para su boutique y platicabamos de la interpretacion mexicana de estos, cuando me mencionó que tambien hay esqueletos presentes en esta region de Estados Unidos, los cuales podia encontrar en cementerios, grabados en las lapidas. Asi que me fui directo al internet a buscar las imagenes. Muy pronto encontré un monton de fotos mostrandome lápidas con cráneos alados y rápidamente empece a crear una mezcla de esqueleto México-Nueva Inglaterra.


My main objective was to make a skeleton-looking doll, not just something that looked as a skull mounted on a regular doll body. Besides, I wanted the doll to be movable and have bony limbs! Not just an interpretation of bones, but something that looked like the real thing. As I do often, I made a series of three dolls.

Mi objetivo principal era hacer una muñeca que pareciera un esqueleto, no algo que fuera un cráneo montado en el cuerpo de una muñeca común. También quería que tuviera miembros articulados y que estos parecieran de hueso! No sólo una interpretación de huesos, sino algo que se viera como huesos reales. Comencé mi tarea e inicié una serie de tres muñecas.


I made the bodies thin enough to look as a skeleton, the heads were made from a four piece pattern and handsewn, then needle sculpted to make more visible cheekbones, once they were attached I painted them with acrylics, and started making their dresses, the upper part is from my favorite vintage fabric, and the bottom part from printed cotton fabric.

Hice los cuerpos lo sufucientemente delgados como para que parecieran esqueletos, las cabezas se cosieron a mano, estan formadas de cuatro partes independientes, al final realce los pómulos y finalmente pinte los cuerpos con acrílicos. Hice los vestidos con trozos de mi tela antigua favorita y las faldas con tela de algodón.


Once they were ready I felt I wanted to add another skirt. I chose the same vintage fabric that is kind of translucent, I liked very much the fact that the ribs, and printed cotton were visible through it.

Una vez que estuvieron listas sentí que quería agregar otra falda. Escogí la tela antigua que es transparente, me gustó que dejara ver las costillas y el color de las telas.

Skeleton doll in yellow
Private Collection

Skeleton doll in pastel colors
Private Collection

Skeleton doll in black and white
Private Collection
For the limbs I had the greatest adventure, I started with the idea of using polymerclay, but it turned out to be very brittle and broke at the first trial. I tried two brands, Super Sculpey and Fimo. Then I tried epoxy clay. It was a big adventure modeling this kind of clay, it feels like one is working against the clay's curing time, detailing bones and getting ready holes, wet sanding, and not needing final coat of paint! The epoxy clay proved to be strong enough to enter my favorite art supply cabinet. Finally I tied the bones with silk thread.

La realización de los miembros fue toda una aventura, comencé con la idea de usar polymerclay, pero esta resulto ser muy frágil y se rompió en la primera prueba. Utilicé dos marcas, Super Sculpey y Fimo. Después utilicé plastilina epoxica, esta última resulto ser una gran aventura, uno siente que se lucha contra el tiempo de secado de la plastilina, detallando huesos y haciendo perforaciones, lijando en seco y cuando uno termina no hay necesidad de pintar! La plastilina epoxica probó ser lo suficientemente fuerte como para entrar en el gabinete de mis materiales de arte favoritos. Finalmente amarre los huesos con hilo de seda.


For the making of the wings  I used the quilting technique, and coffee staining, then hand stitched them to the back. Each doll got their ribbons, which matched their dresses.

Para hacer las alas use la tecnica del acolchado, las teni con café y finalmente las cosi en la espalda. Cada muñeca tiene moños en estilos diferentes que combinan con sus vestidos.





No comments:

Post a Comment