Thursday, October 10, 2013

OWLS AS PROTECTORS

     I decided to change the name of my blog, etsy shop, and brand. Many of the people that used to find me on Google or other searchers are missing me, the former name of the blog was www.josephine-artifacts-collection.blogspot.com, the NEW ONE is www.josephinemaxsonfineart.blogspot.com 
     New name, same content.

     Decidi cambiar el nombre de mi blog, tienda etsy y compania. Mucha de la gente que me encontraba por medio del Google u otros buscadores ahora no me encuentran. El nombre anterior de mi blog era www.josephine-artifacts-collection.blogspot.com , el nuevo nombre  es www.josephinemaxsonfineart.blogspot.com 
     Nombre nuevo, mismo contenido.

     This time I am posting the process that culminated in the piece called "The Guardians", which now lives happily in Norwich, Connecticut, under caring collectors. These Guardians are owls, but they don't have anything to do with the ones from the owl movie, as I told to the visitors that heard my stories during the 2-month show held at Expressiones Gallery, in New London, CT. 

     Esta vez voy a explicar el proceso que culmino en la terminacion de la pieza llamada "Guardianes", quienes viven felizmente en Norwich, Connecticut, bajo el cuidado de fieles coleccionistas. Estos guardianes son buhos, que no tienen nada que ver con los de la pelicula de nombre similar, tal y como les explique a los visitantes que escucharon mis historias durante el show que duro dos meses en la Galeria Expressiones, de New London, CT.

"The Guardians"
Mixed Media
                                                                        19” x 13” x 6”
                                                                               2012
                                                                     Private Collection
     The piece came from a dream, I was walking in the woods, in a very pretty place when all sudden I found the most green, gorgeous valley just after some very old trees. When I approached the trees I found out that inside them there were owls, bigger than a human, sticking their heads out of the tree bark, and calling me. Their voices were the hoot sound of an owl, and I could not understand anything, but the view of these massive, beautiful creatures in such a place, made me remember them forever. They were meant to be in my art work anyway.

     Esta pieza surgio de un sueno, estaba caminando en un bosque muy bonito cuando de repente vi cerca un valle precioso del verde mas brillante que pueda recordar, antes de llegar al valle tenia que pasar por unos arboles. 
     Cuando me acerque a ellos encontre que adentro habia unos buhos mas grandes que un humano, que sacaban sus cabezas por hoyos que habia en el tronco y me hablaban. Sus voces eran el sonido comun de un buho y obviamente no entendi nada, sin embargo el haber visto unas criaturas tan grandes y tan bonitas en el sueno tan extrano, me dejo una marca que solo podia manifestarse en la creacion de una obra de arte.




     Usually I start with the rough version of the figures, this time I forced myself to the limits and started right away with plaster of Paris, applied with spatulas, my hands, and any tool at hand that helped me to achieve, first that anything, the shape, then the texture. After that was done I made sure the piece passed the test on stability. At last came the tougher trial, that of my son handling them!

     Usualmente empiezo con la version basica de las figuras, esta vez me lance mas alla de mis limites y comence a trabajar con yeso de Paris, el cual aplique con espatulas, mis manos y cuanta cosa se me atraveso en el camino, mi objetivo principal era el conseguir la silueta y despues la textura. Despues me asegure de que la pieza pasara la prueba de estabilidad y luego lo mas dificil, que mi hijo las tocara!




     The owls got a face! This is a very exciting part, when our efforts start paying off! They acquired a face and survived my son's handling, by this time the big owl was "Daddy owl" and the little one "Baby owl", according to the feeling of my quality control manager. The last one was his favorite and used to carry it around the house.

     Los buhos ya tienen cara! Esta parte es muy emocionante, cuando lo esfuerzos de uno empiezan a mostrarse! Tambien sobrevivieron a mi hijo y en este momento ya los habia bautizado como "Buho daddy" y el mas pequeno "Buho hijo", este ultimo fue su favorito y lo cargaba por la casa.


          The bigger owl (Daddy owl) is the representation of the Earth (which makes it more a mommy), its colors reminded me a lot of our planet's surfaces, inside its body, where the little one fits, I executed copies of the cave paintings from Lascaux, Altamira, and Chauvet. This means the antiquity, History, and legacy of the whole humankind in its creative aspect.

     El buho grande (Buho daddy) es la representacion de la Tierra (lo que lo hace mas una mami), sus colores me recuerdan las diversas superficies de nuestro planeta, adentro de su cuerpo, en la parte hueca donde cabe el buho pequeno, realice unas copias de pinturas rupestres originarias de Lascaux, Altamira y Chauvet. Esto tiene el significado de la antiguedad, historia y legado de la humanidad en su aspecto creativo.


     The smallest owl symbolizes the Universe, it is blue and starry. 

     El buho mas pequeno simboliza el Universo, es azul y esta lleno de estrellas. 

Face of humankind, partially finished/ Mascara de la humanidad, parcialmente terminada


     The third and last part of the sculpture is a mask that symbolizes humankind regardless of race, religion, background, etc.. That's the reason I painted it greenish, so nobody can feel any allusion. It is greenish too because it tells about a being that is immature, the rune symbol displayed on its forehead, which is called a bindrune (two or more runes mixed together) means changes, travel, unknown opportunities, which are very much the ingredients of humankind's History since the beginning of time (from the rune EOH, which looks like an M), plus getting satisfactory conclusions and results, something every human being craves for, from the beginning of time (from the rune ING, which looks like a rhomboid).

     La tercera y ultima pieza de la escultura es una mascara que simboliza la humanidad sin importar raza, religion, origen, etc... Esta es la razon por la cual la pinte verde, para que nadie se sienta aludido. Es verde tambien porque nos habla de un ser inmaduro, el simbolo que tiene en la frente es conocido como bindruna (dos o mas runas mezcladas) y simboliza cambios, viajes, oportunidades desconocidas, que son aspectos que han conformado la historia de la humanidad desde el principio de los tiempos (por la runa EOH, que parece una M), mas aparte el obtener conclusiones satisfactorias y resultados, que es algo que todo mundo ha buscado desde el principio de los tiempos (por la runa ING, que se ve como un rombo). 

     An adventure that started as a dream and finished as an Artwork!

     Una aventura que empezo como un sueno y termino como una obra de arte!

No comments:

Post a Comment