Saturday, March 12, 2011

Making mini Izannah Walker doll

I love Izannah Walker dolls, they have a kind of peace in their faces. This time I wanted to make a mini Izannah, she measures 3 3/4 inches, and I followed the procedure of making a stuffed cloth body, and sculpting her head, hands, and feet in paper clay.

Me gustan bastante las munecas Izannah Walker, su cara posee cierta paz que inspira. Esta vez hice una Izannah miniatura, solo alcanza 3 3/4 pulgadas, mas o menos 9 cm. Segui el procedimiento de hacerle su cuerpo de tela y esculpir su cabeza, manos y pies con paper clay.


I made 3 of them, I was so happy! One after another.
Hice 3 munecas al mismo tiempo, estaba tan contenta! Una tras otra.



I started working with the one in the middle, and she became a very pretty little lady.

Empece a trabajar con la de en medio, y se convirtio en una munequita hermosa.


I made her clothes from an original dress from 1855, following the traditional Victorian sewing, which I deeply love. The Victorian sewing is highly professional, they did not have machines, and every detail is outstanding. A dress this size was going to be impossible to make in a machine, that was out of question. The Victorians gave me all what I needed, and I got a dress with no raw edges, no double cloth layers, everything with the precision of a Swiss watch. A petticoat and drawers in vintage, sturdy cotton fabric finished her clothing nicely. I hand painted the pieces before sewing with textile paints, and gave them a wash to give them a warm worn look. I wanted Izannah to look like she has been playing during 200 years and still be alive and happy.

Hice su ropa basandome en un vestido original de 1855, siguiendo la tradicional costura Victoriana, la cual realmente adoro. La costura Victoriana es de alta calidad, aquellas mujeres no tenian maquinas, y cada detalle es preciso. Iba a ser imposible coser un vestido de este tamano en la maquina, eso estaba fuera de duda. Las costureras victorianas me dieron precisamente lo que estaba buscando, y obtuve un vestido sin orillas deshilachadas, sin tanta tela doblada, todo con la precision de un reloj suizo. Una faldilla y calzones de manga larga, ambos hechos en tela de algodon antigua terminaron su atuendo. Antes de coser pinte la tela a mano con colores textiles, y los lave para que tomaran una apariencia usada. Queria que Izannah se viera como si hubiera estado jugando por 200 anios y aun siguiera viva y contenta.



I had to sew in place each piece of her clothing, due to her small size that made impossible to use buttons, hooks, I did not want to use velcro, and this one was too thick for this size tough. Then I took a picture of each of the clothes, before sewing them forever on Izannah.

Tuve que cerrar cada pieza de su vestimenta; debido a su pequeno tamano me fue imposible usar botones, o ganchos, y no quise usar velcro, ademas de por si era muy grueso para ella. Asi que tome una foto por cada una de sus prendas, las cuales iba cosiendo de manera permanente.



Izannah was sold last week on E-Bay during a very exciting bidding, and right now she is traveling to Florida, where she will have warmer winters from now on. It was a lot of fun to make her. Regards, Jean!

Izannah fue adquirida en E-Bay la semana pasada durante una subasta bastante emocionante, y ahora viaja hasta la Florida, donde va a tener inviernos mas calidos. Me diverti mucho al hacerla. Cuidala mucho Jean!


1 comment:

  1. Margarita, I am so happy I joined your blog, I just love your work, you put so much thought into all your dolls, the Izzies are wonderful and your crusaders dolls are amazing - and I love love your Fridas.

    ReplyDelete