Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Crusader Dolls

The holydays are gone finally, I went trought 4 birthday parties, Christmast, and New Year, without making much of my doll making work, just thinking about how I could scape to the studio and do something. I wish my hands worked as fast as my mind.
One of these days I got the idea of making crusaders, these guys with red crosses and nice looking helmets and swords. I did not know anything about them really, so I read two good books about them and discovered that they were organized in different groups, among them the Templars, the Hospitallers, and the Teutonic Order.

Los dias festivos finalmente se terminaron, pase por 4 fiestas de cumpleanos, Navidad y Anio Nuevo sin poder hacer mucho de mi trabajo, solo me la pasaba pensando en como me podria escapar al estudio y tener un poco de tiempo para mis proyectos. Me gustaria que mis manos trabajaran a la misma velocidad que mi mente.

Uno de esos dias se me ocurrio en hacer cruzados, aquellos hombres con cruces rojas en la ropa, cascos bonitos y espadas; no sabia mucho de ellos realmente, asi que me lei dos libros muy buenos acerca de las cruzadas y descubri que estaban agrupados en diferentes organizaciones, entre ellos los caballeros Templarios, los caballeros Hospitalarios y los caballeros Teutones.





The Templars wore red crosses on white clothes, and their helmets were very square, the Hospitallers wore white crosses on black clothes, their helmets had more variety in their styles, and the Teutons wore black crosses on white clothes, these were very agressive looking, and their organization had the policy of eternal crusading, which means they were going to keep fighting forever, and looking forward to it. 
Los Templarios portaban cruces rojas sobre tunicas y capas blancas, sus cascos eran muy cuadrados. Los Hospitalarios llevaban cruces blancas sobre tunicas y capas negras, los cascos eran mas variados, y los Teutones usaban cruces negras sobre tunicas y capas blancas, estos ultimos se veian muy agresivos y su organizacion tenia la consigna de cruzadas eternas, lo que significa que estos caballeros lucharian permanentemente.

After surfing the internet I got enough material to design my patterns, and I got something like this:

Despues de recorrer el internet en busca de material para disenar mis patrones acabe con algo asi:


Unstuffed muslin pieces
Piezas de muselina sin rellenar.


Stuffed pieces, arms have needle sculpted fingers, and elbows.
Piezas ya rellenas, los brazos se pueden doblar en los codos y esculpi con aguja los dedos de las manos.



Close up of the bodies, I decided to keep the head attached to the body, the two at the left are Hospitallers, the one at the right is a Templar. The pointy heads of the Hospitallers are the base for their helmets.
Decidi que la cabeza y el cuerpo deberian ir en el mismo patron, para darle mayor solidez y fuerza a las figuras. Los dos de la izquierda son Hospitalarios, el de la derecha es un Templario, la cabeza puntiaguda de los Hospitalarios me da la base para hacer sus cascos.

This was just the first chapter, I hope my toddler boy (quality control manager) gives me more rest to finish them.

Esto solo fue el principio, espero que mi hijo (my jefe de control de calidad) me de mas tiempo de terminarlos.

No comments:

Post a Comment