Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Legend of Black Mammy Doll. Final chapter.

As I said in an earlier post, making Black Mammies started to come up to my mind more and more until I designed the pattern and got one, which I gave to my dear sister-in-law as a Christmas present. Then I reduced the pattern to 80% and 60% smaller sizes and got a bunch of them!

Como decia en un capitulo anterior, en mi mente comenzaron a aparecer munecas mamis tan frecuentemente que de plano me di a la tarea de disenar un patron y confeccione una muneca, la cual di como regalo a mi cunada la navidad pasada. Despues reduje ese patron a un 80% y 60% e hice un monton de mamis!

Small size mammies. Mamis talla pequena.

Medium size mammies. Mamis talla media.

Close up, they are the 80% smaller dolls. I love adding buttons to  the arms because they become very movable.
Acercamiento de las mamis, estas son las que fueron reducidas a un 80%. Me gusta ponerles botones para coserles los brazos porque les da mucho movimiento.

I did the dolls following the process of sewing the bodies, stuffing them with fiberfill, attaching the arms with buttons, hand sewing the legs, needle sculpting the noses, mouths, and knees, and hand painting them with acrylics.

Hice las munecas siguiendo el proceso de coser los cuerpos de muselina, rellenarlos con fiberfill, coserles los brazos con botones, coserles las piernas, coserles en relieve la nariz, boca y codos, finalmente pintarlas con acrilicos.


The next step is sewing the skirt, these girls were very fancy, and they wanted full pleated skirts, they got them.
El siguiente paso era coserles la falda, estas ninas salieron muy especiales y querian faldas tableadas, asi que a trabajar.


Yeah, very fancy girls, just look at those boots!
Si, salieron muy especiales, nadamas miren esas botas!




After I got this step I knew they were not the traditional Black Mammies I had in mind, but a fancier, modern, younger girl. I was very pleased with the results.

Despues de alcanzar este paso supe que no habia hecho las tradicionales Mamis que tenia en mente, sino ninas mas sofisticadas, modernas y definitivamente mas jovenes. Estuve contenta con los resultados.

SOLD. VENDIDA


SOLD / VENDIDA

SOLD/VENDIDA








Once I started to needle felt their hair I found out how cool it looked the super-extra curly black wool, and I did not have any intention in covering it in the way of the Black Mammies, instead, I brought those braids up their heads for full, proud display of such a nice kind of hair.

Una vez que comence a ponerles el cabello me di cuenta que bonito se les veia todo chino, muy africano, muy padre, ya no tuve ninguna intencion de cubrirselos a la manera de las Mamis originales, en lugar de eso les puse las trenzas en lo alto de la cabeza para presumir lo bien que se les veia.

I wanted to make a Black Mammy doll following the traditional patterns, but I started finding out that their portraits were not that happy, I saw countless of photo archives of barefoot, dirty, ragged, sad looking mammies, burdened by endless, unpaid house chores. I am aware of the bad situation of the African-American people in past centuries, specially women, and I wanted to make a dignified doll, proud of herself, well dressed, with awesome boots! I wish I could change the History of the world just by making dolls.

Mi objetivo principal era hacer una Mami negra siguiendo la tradicion, en mi recoleccion de datos comence a encontrar imagenes que no eran del todo felices. Vi incontables fotos de mujeres de raza negra descalzas, sucias, con ropa rota, de miradas tristes, agobiadas por quehaceres domesticos que nisiquiera les pagaban. Conozco la mala situacion en la que se encontraba la gente de color en siglos pasados, en especial las mujeres, asi que quise hacer una muneca digna, orgullosa y segura de si misma, bien vestida, con botas que ya quisiera tener yo! Como me gustaria cambiar la historia del mundo solo haciendo munecas.


No comments:

Post a Comment